Subject: Re: South Africa
Date: Oct 01, 2003 @ 12:18
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

so i gather what you are calling transkei here has since become
eastern cape province
as in
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/africa/south_africa_reliefmap.jpg
where you can actually see the larger clave & imagine the
smaller one at westernmost kwazulu natal province
tho the present name of this transkei or eastern cape province is
technically unknowable at present
according to our usually reliable source
http://www.mindspring.com/~gwil/uza.html

but by whatever names
& since we are here now just loitering around in za2
can you or anyone confirm that this odd pair of reciprocal
transkei kwazulu claves
producing zero tripoints whether domestic or international
is all she wrote for contemporary south african interprovincial
claves

or are there others still to be found in her national clavoscopy

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Brendan Whyte
<bwhyte@u...> wrote:
> Yes indeed it is a small enclave. It was originally an enclave
within the
> independent Transkei, just as Transkei had a larger enclave
within Natal.
> When Transkei was re-incorporated in South Africa, and the
old provincial
> boundaries redrawn, Natal became Kwazulu-Natal, and
Transkei retained its
> large enclave within K-N, and K-N appears to have retained its
smaller
> enclave that you found, in Transkei.
>
> The old independent Transkei had a second enclave,
sandwiched between
> Lesotho, Orange Free State and Cape Province. The main
town was Sterkspruit.

> The small enclave you found is shown on my offical S.African
1:1m and
> 1:250,000 map sheets.
> you could also buy the 1:50,00o or 1:250,000 sheets that cover
it if you
> wanted.
> Topo maps are R10 each, that's less than US$2!
> http://w3sli.wcape.gov.za/
>
> The old homelands (Ciskei, Transkei, Venda,
Bophuthatswana) are apparently
> still shown on the 1:1million wall map in 4 sheets for R60.
That's about US$8.

> Brendan
>
> > Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:46:00 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Arif Samad <fHoiberg@y...>
> >Subject: Questions and comments
> >
> >I was checking out a map site of Kwazulu-Natal (the one that
is on my link
> >site) and found out what looks
> >like a fragment on the western side being the westernmost
point in the
> >province. This is not on my
> >page as of now. I was wondering if anybody has access to
detailed map of