Subject: South Africa
Date: Oct 01, 2003 @ 03:08
Author: Brendan Whyte (Brendan Whyte <bwhyte@...>)

Yes indeed it is a small enclave. It was originally an enclave within the
independent Transkei, just as Transkei had a larger enclave within Natal.
When Transkei was re-incorporated in South Africa, and the old provincial
boundaries redrawn, Natal became Kwazulu-Natal, and Transkei retained its
large enclave within K-N, and K-N appears to have retained its smaller
enclave that you found, in Transkei.

The old independent Transkei had a second enclave, sandwiched between
Lesotho, Orange Free State and Cape Province. The main town was Sterkspruit.

The small enclave you found is shown on my offical S.African 1:1m and
1:250,000 map sheets.
you could also buy the 1:50,00o or 1:250,000 sheets that cover it if you
wanted.
Topo maps are R10 each, that's less than US$2!
http://w3sli.wcape.gov.za/

The old homelands (Ciskei, Transkei, Venda, Bophuthatswana) are apparently
still shown on the 1:1million wall map in 4 sheets for R60. That's about US$8.

Brendan