Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Geographic anomalies
Date: Jan 02, 2001 @ 23:29
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

I am doing a thesis on enclaves, so know all the cases fairly well. An
enclave must be 100% surrounded by another country, so most of your examples
are fragments, as they have coasts.

>JUNGHOLZ
>For quite some time I have wondered about the status of Jungholz,
>so thank you for the recent clarification on this matter. I shall look
>forward to the forthcoming reports from the single connection point.

Maps posted recently to the list. See archive.

>LLIVIA, CAMPIONE D'ITALIA, BAARLE-HERTOG, BUESINGEN
>These are fairly wellknown exclaves. Do you discuss them at all,
>and if so, would anyone have any interesting links or maps?

I posted maps of Llivia rectnyl to the list, should be in the archive.

>MOUNT ATHOS
>Is this an enclave? How much political independence is required
>for us to consider a territory an enclave? By the way, does complete
>maritime exclusion count, or do we only concern ourselves with
>at least partly landlocked entities?

Semi-autonomous. I wonder how, given EU discrimination legislation, it can
be part of a member state, but exclude women? Not that i care: i have a
beard so can visit anytime!

>ST PIERRE ET MIQUELON
>Speaking of maritime exclusion, do we consider the small french
>islands just off the east coast of Canada an exclave?

the\ir waters are enclaved in Canadian waters. Yes.

>GUANTANMO BASE
>Guantanamo is an american naval base on Cuba. Does anyone
>have any interesting input?

It is leased, not sovereign territory. Should go back to Cuba in the next
few years i think.

>CASES OF EXCLAVES WITHIN EXCLAVES
>Baarle-Hertog is a well-known example of the extremely rare case, where
>exclaves exist within exclaves. There is allegedly another case in Oman.
>Does anyone have any information on this? By the way, did you know
>that there is at least one Dutch exclave within the main territory of
>Belgium in the vicinity of Baarle? I'll scan a map and put it here if
>anyone

I have seen a map, but have yet to obtain a copy.
Try to dig up the Omani national atlas.

I have lots of maps of Baarle, as i did my fieldwork there late last year.

>has interest in this fact.
>
>LITHUANIA
>Is there, or is there not, a lithuanian exclave within Belarus?

Yes.

>THE VATICAN
>Does anyone have a *good* map of the Vatican? I'd like to be able to
>see precisely where the border is.

There was an article ih Geographical Review in the 1930s about it, by an
Italian chap.

>CYPRUS
>There seems to exist at least two british military bases, constituting
>independent territories, on Cyprus, and at least one turk-cypriotic
>exclave on the north-west coast of the island. Information, anyone?

Not independent. Sovereign British land. the eastern one, Dhekelia, contains
3 Cypriot enclaves and a coatstal fragment.

There is a small Turk-Cypriot beachhead in the NW of the island. I have no
info on it.

>CEUTA, MELILLA
>Does anyone have information or good maps of the two spanish
>exclaves on the moroccan coast?

See Rezette, who wrote a book on them in the 60s, and included topo maps.

>NEUTRAL ZONES
>What neutral zones do we know of? Are there neutral zones close to
>Gibraltar, Ceuta and Melilla? And what happened to the rombic shaped
>neutral zone in the desert between Saudi Arabia and Iraq? Is it still
>there?
It was divided up in the late 70s or ealry 80s.

>IRELAND
>Was there ever an irish exclave within the territory of Northern Ireland?
>I have a map that would suggest such a case, but it may well be a
>badly produced map. Can anyone clarify this case?

No. But the border is tricky. See Drumully on Irish topo 1:50 000 map sheet
27.

See Robinson's seminal 1950s article on Enclaves too.

>HISTORIC GEOGRAPHIC ANOMALIES
>
>Do you concern yourself at all with historic enclaves? As the supply of
>living enclaves and exclaves is finite, why not look into some not-too-
>long-gone cases?
>
>WEST-BERLIN
>Well, Berlin (West), surely the most well-known exclave of the near past.
>But did you know that there were several sub-exclaves off Berlin, i. e.
>areas within East-German territory belonging to West-Berlin? I have
>found Eiskeller, Steinstuecken (connected to West-Berlin with a corridor
>in 1971 or 1972, I think) and Falkenhagener Wiese. Were there others?
>What are their stories? Does anyone know? I have a wonderful russian
>map that outlines those sub-exclaves and I'll scan it if anyone is
>interested.

See Catudal's "Steinstucken" book, and his and robinson's journal articles
on Berlin in the 1950s to 70s.

>ZARA or ZADAR
>Zara was an italian exclave on the coast of Croatia, now called Zadar.
>Does anyone have any information or maps?

I have a 1:5 000 000 or so map which shows it. Just a samll town on the
Yugoslav coast.

>PORKALA
>Porkala was a large Soviet military base on the Finish south coast.
>I think the area was rented by the Soviets as part of the peace treaty
>following the second world war. Information, anyone?

russia rented it, forced Finnish through-trian wondows to be covered when
they passed through it. Russians gave it back in the 50s sometime.

>DANZIGER FREISTAAT
>Does anyone have any information on the State of Danzig, which existed
>between the world wars? Good maps?

No. Not so interesting. Should be League of Nations aDMIN REPORTS OR
SOMETHING I GUESS...

Brendan Whyte
University of Melbourne