Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Historic geographic anomalies
Date: Jan 01, 2001 @ 20:49
Author: Mats Hessman (Mats Hessman <Mats@...>)

David wrote:

> > HISTORIC GEOGRAPHIC ANOMALIES
> > --
> > Please help fill the list!
>
> How do you define this category?

I haven't really thought of how to define historic
geographic anomalies, but let me try right away:
Because they are historic they should be gone, in
one way or another, but they should have been around
long enough and recently enough to attract our
attention, shouldn't they?

I have seen the discussions on this list as to what
constitutes an enclave or an exclave. For example,
we don't seem to be able to agree upon whether Jungholz
is an exclave or not. But it certainly is a geographic
anomaly, isn't it? And a unique and very interesting
one, too.

So for me a georaphic anomaly is something that you
see on a map, and instantly feel an urge to go there,
this feeling being based on the appearance on the
map alone.

But an anomaly is not an ordinary country or a city,
there has to be a certain degree of extraordinarity
about the borders of the anomaly.

In short: if you are predisposed in a way that we who
contribute to this list all seem to be, you will
know a geographic anomaly when you see one! (Unless
your vision is clouded by birdwatching... :)

Here is another one to put on the list, by the way:
The Saar-area between Germany and France, that was
finally merged with Germany (West) after a referendum.

Arif wrote:

> I am sorry I haven't been able to put the Berlin
> exclaves online.

I'll be waiting eagerly!

> Mats, I made a mistake when I wrote exclaves.
> There is only one exclave in Belgium.

I understand.

> I have better paper maps of
> almost all the exclaves that you put online, so I can
> send them to you if you give me your snail-mail
> address.

Yes, please! Your unexpected courtesy really surprises
me, and I'll be very grateful.

Please send to:
Mats Hessman
Ideon
S-223 70 Lund
Sweden

Please don't hesitate to include maps of the Berlin
exclaves, should you have any.

And please tell me what I can do for you in return.

> Talking about Walvis Bay, you know about the
> twelve tiny coastal islands of Namibia which were
> South African, right?

I didn't know. Thanks for the info.

Mats