Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Geographic anomalies
Date: Dec 30, 2000 @ 16:07
Author: Mats Hessman (Mats Hessman <Mats@...>)

Colleagues,

Thank you for the warm welcome to your community.
What oceans of exptertise y'all expose!

Arif, I have some questions for you. If you can
find any time (perhaps later when Ramadan is over)
for some answers I´ll be most grateful.

Jesper, thank you for some excellent links.

[..cut, cut..] (lots of other cuts as well)

> I have paper maps of all of them. Most of them have
> maps online too. Mapquest is fair about them.
> Brendan's maps on the group is the best I have seen on
> Llivia. Swissgeo is good for Campione and Busingen.
> Catudal had a fairly good book on the subject.

What is the name of the book, please? Do you have
the ISBN-code?

> I don't think it is an integral part of France. If it
> was, I would consider it an exclave as St Pierre et
> Miquelon's territorial waters are surrounded by
> Canadian water, which is very rare.
> http://www.st-pierre-et-miquelon.com/english.html is a
> good site.

Just a short comment; on the above-mentioned site there
is some information referring to St P et M as a
"Collectivité Territoriale" and not an overseas
department, such as for example Guadelope and Reunion.
See http://www.st-pierre-et-miquelon.com/Domtom.html

> I did know of the Dutch enclaves within Belgium.

Plural? Are there more than one? I managed to find one
after careful study of a detailed topographic map of
the area.

Peter, yes, the Dutch exclave is not marked at all,
as it is nothing but a small field with some trees
on. You can drive almost all the way up to it, but
you'll have to walk with the cows the last houndred
metres or so.

> > LITHUANIA
> > Is there, or is there not, a lithuanian exclave
> > within Belarus?
> >
> Yes, there is and it's called Pagiriai.

Thank you for the assertion! I'll look for it as soon
as I can find a decent map.

> http://www.rmnet.it/~pellegrino/ctv/city_map.htm is
> the best map I have seen. The border generally
> follows walls, so it is easy to see.

Thanks again. I didn't know that the entire state was
walled off. (Now, where did I last hear of such a
case? :)

> I have fairly good maps from a Moroccan book written
> in Arabic, which I don't understand. However, I don't
> have a scanner. You can check www.ceuta.com for a
> fairly good map of Ceuta. There are a few books on
> them and most good libraries should have them.

Would you have any of the book-titles on your mind
right now? I'd be very grateful.

> > IRELAND
> > Was there ever an irish exclave within the territory
> > of Northern Ireland?
> > I have a map that would suggest such a case, but it
> > may well be a
> > badly produced map. Can anyone clarify this case?
> >
> Good question. I am still in search of that after
> reading it in a book. Do you know where it is
> supposed to be exactly? I see an almost separated
> territory in County Monaghan, but it seems to have
> always been connected to Ireland in historic times.

The almost separated territory in the neighbourhood
of Clones that you see is probably it. On a 1969 map
that I have it definately looks like a true exclave.
I'll scan it for you shortly.

HISTORICS...
> I do. Please mention your list to me. However, the
> information on these are harder to come by.

Arif, I'll try and compile a list of the ones that
I can think of. (Walvis Bay is certainly one of them,
Ifni on the Moroccan coast would be another.)

> There were Twelve of them. Catudal has a book titled
> "Steinstucken" which is a great source of information
> for these. I have their names and areas in square
> meters which I can put on the web, if you want. There
> were also three East German exclaves in West Berlin.
> There was a German 1:6,000 atlas I have found, but the
> atlas was way too big to photocopy. I traced it, but
> am trying to make clean copies on the computer.

This really interests me. Yes, I would very much like to
have the names of the twelve western exclaves as well
as the three eastern ones. If you have the approximate
locations it would be even better.

Would you know the ISBN-code of the book by Catudal?

Mats