Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Geographic anomalies
Date: Dec 29, 2000 @ 21:59
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

welcome mats
we are the geographic anomalies
& glad you are enjoying & could join us

i think our resident enclavologist brendan may be out of town because he is
usually pretty quick to respond when he can
& our special clavologist arif may also be away
either of whom i think could have helped you bigtime here
& probably will in short order

please dont hesitate to carry on at length tho

we are here because we cant get too much anyway

in the meantime
some topics like guantanamo or llivia may be fruitful to enter as a search
term on any of the bp pages such as
http://www.egroups.com/messages/boundarypoint

st pierre is a favorite of mine too tho

i see in the maritime political boundaries of the world by jrv prescott
fig 13 3 shows french waters fully enclaved within canadian waters

so st pierre & its territorial waters are nominally or technically a french
maritime enclave within canadian maritime territory

i have never heard anyone seriously claim overseas islands are exclaves tho

nor islands within coastal waters either for that matter

like everyone will probably say that alaska is an exclave of the usa
but that hawaii is not an exclave of the usa

is it just a matter of being on a continent rather than insular
or must it be on the same continent
or may it be on any contiguous continent

inconsistency seems rampant & it gets pretty funny when you realize there
probably arent & cant be any hard & fast rules or definitions

add to this the fact that both clave words have both more technical & more
general or even ignorant uses

like if st pierre is not a true exclave of france because it is an island
then is french guyana a truer exclave of france for being on a continent
& is ceuta a better exclave of spain for being on a contiguous continent
& gibraltar an even better exclave of britain for being homeocontinent

i will look forward to hearing more on these entertaining topics tho

best for now