Subject: Re: Angels on a boundary cross
Date: Apr 29, 2003 @ 21:46
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

congrats & bravos eef
for this is the first known perfect visit
to the presumptive baarle border cross
a top prize in the world of multipointing

we had our first class c visit & photo in the last pic attached to
message 1752
& there is lots of good info there too
but yours is clearly the first class a visit to this presumptive point

the question of whether the pipe is the true marker is considered
in message 1738
which also suggests an objective test for determining whether
the presumptive point marked by it was in fact correctly located

but i would go further on reflection
to take the geoposition given by the treaty in message 1201
& find it on the ground using the best available gps technology
for that would be the best available truth
if indeed folk custom can be overruled by technology in this case

so i think you are right when you conclude that only a
professional surveyor might do a better job than you have done
of finding the true border cross point

yet happily that does perhaps afford posterity a short additional
distance to travel here
just as the exact & conclusive location of the jungholz cross also
remains slightly up in the air

nobody ever said such great prizes should be easy tho

incidentally message 5063 holds forth the hope that there might
exist not 1 but 2 bengali border crosses
& thus with baarle & jungholz a total world population of as many
as 4 of them

perhaps brendan can confirm or bust this latest thrill by now tho

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Eef Berns"
<eefberns@d...> wrote:
> Blofeld's remark "the existence of such artifacts as boundary
crosses can give rise to all sorts of philosophical and
mathematical ponderings. For example, is Jungholz really
connected to the rest of Austria, the boundary cross being a point
and thus infinitely small?" reminded me of medieval theological
disputes about how many angels could stand on a needle's
point.

> Well, I tried to stand on the boundary cross in Baarle. An
account of my visits to
> - the quadripoint in Baarle
> - the 22th enclave (H22)
> can be seen at http://home.wanadoo.nl/~eefberns/index.html
>
> In addition the Andorra-tripoints-page (same web-location) has
been updated with some pictures found by Marcel Miquel (thank
you!).