Subject: Re: map of german "landeskirchen"
Date: Apr 26, 2003 @ 23:29
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <listen@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002" <orc@o...> wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "chris schulz"

> depends on what it is

"Landeskirchen" are the regional subdivisions of the Lutheran churches. Eac=
h "Landeskirche" has a bishop. I think this applies to Germany only. How Lut=
heran episcopal territories are organised in other countries I don't know.

Lutheran protestants are about 50% of Germany's Christians. The other 50 ar=
e Roman Catholics. The Roman church AFAIK has a worldwide system of "Bistums=
" and "Diözese" (whatever these are called in other languages). Other Christ=
ian denominations are negligible.

> are these political boundaries
> or ecclesiastical boundaries

Just ecclesiastic, but based on political boundaries of the pre-WW2 "Länder=
" (states), hence the name. Since the territories remained unchanged, there =
were bishops who had both East and West German parishes under them. The same=
is true for the Roman Catholic church, who continued their pre-WW2 territor=
ies unchanged as well.

> perhaps parishes in that case

Not if by "parish" you mean the territory of one single church and its prie=
st.

Regards