Subject: Re: Poor border mapping example and straight borders
Date: Apr 19, 2003 @ 16:44
Author: Karolis B. ("Karolis B." <kbajoraz@...>)

> ok thanx
> so evidently we are talking more like 10km than 5km of straight
> border there
> which will be much harder to surpass even on plru

no no, not ten, more like five.
But another candidate is the Curonian Lagoon. It depends if you
consider it internal or external waters. Law of the Sea undoubtedly
considers it internal. The borderline in the Curonian Lagoon is 19 km
long and turn only once, with the longest stretch of I think 11km.
Is it a conbsiderable part of LTRU, as the border is 270km?

> & i have to wonder then if it doesnt just boil down to a question
of
> whether 3 or more monuments in a row can ever be considered
> perfectly straight

how lucky that there are only two on Curonian Spit!

> when we know they must always deflect off of one another by at
> least a few mils of a second of arc
> just owing to limitations of survey accuracy

It depends on wether the border treaty gives priority to the
described and depicted on the map border, or the border that results
form bordermarkers. But the latter is risky, as bordermarkers could
be moved.

> but since caus & egly were specifically mentioned as straight
> i think any series of practically straight monuments would qualify

For any practical purposes such discrepancies are nothing.

> & this would make plru look pretty good in places i think
>
> but it is jespers question
> & his to decide which chains of practically straight monuments
> are acceptably sober
> & which too tipsy to qualify
>
> secondly
> this single clean cut of the curonian neck & beyond
> which i think you are indicating
> also produces an appreciably large straight fraction of all ltru
> suggesting kevins interpretation was correct

It wasn't Kevin's interpretation, I don't think, just an additional
suggestion. For now I think we're looking for the longest straight
stretch of border in Europe. Depending on your views of Kazachstan's
Europeanness, I suggest to research KZRU.