Subject: Re: Poor border mapping example and straight borders
Date: Apr 18, 2003 @ 21:54
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

ok nice
so then which of all these straight lines including your original
example is the longest

wasnt that the direction of your question

or did you really only ask for the boundary with the greatest
percentage of straightness out of its total length
as kevin evidently understood

& i also didnt really see in the original message 9744 what you
meant about poor mapping of the curonian neck

so all this remains a multiple puzzle to me

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen"
<jesniel@i...> wrote:
> Yes
> Curonian neck is right.
>
> PLRU seems straight, but looking at a good map will indicate
line drawn with vodka in the blood.

> Attached section of straight line PLRU.
>
> Jesper
and straight borders

> ok jesper
> another attractive question
> & assuming chris is right about it being the curonian spit
> which i do
> then i figure you are talking maybe only 5km here
> for the length you are asking us to surpass
>
> & i dont know if that is even possible to do
> but i have noticed that plru makes a valiant effort to go straight
> for about 200km
> & tho it is clearly a case of slightly too much vodka overall
> there may well be a truly straight reach long enough to qualify
> embedded somewhere within the nearly straight 200km
reach
> or at least that is where i would begin to look
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schulz"
> <23568@g...> wrote:
> > its from the "kurische nehrung", i guess,
> > regards, chris
and
> straight borders
> >

> > Somebody once asked and got no answer: "Is there any
> straight line borders
> > in Europe?". And offcourse the answer is "yes".
> >
> > For in between two points along a border a straight line is
very
> common and
> > easy to find if you have two reference points and two
markers
> in the nature.
> >
> > Offcourse the asker meant "important" or "very long"
straight
> lines like on
> > CAUS or EGLY. And then the answer is no, at least on
> international borders.
> >
> > But does anybody know the longest straight line section of
> European
> > border? Attached is my candidate, that also serve as an
> example of poor
> > mapping (in connection with my previous thread
"Topomap:
> EELVRY".
> >
> > Can anybody guess what border and what section this
map is
> from?
> >
> > Jesper
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> >

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
of
> Service.
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.