Subject: Re: Brazil, land of corners, and beautiful curves
Date: Apr 17, 2003 @ 19:29
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

very nice try & a handsome object in any case maestro

reminds me of the huge anthills they have around brasilia

& it does appear to be at least a tri state marker
our first within brazil or any other latin american country i believe

also i was thrilled to believe for awhile with you that there was
still a megapoint on this level somewhere we hadnt yet
discovered

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Smaardijk"
<smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> ... on the other hand,

http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/decreto/Antigos/D99278.htm
seems
> to deny the existence of the quadripoint. Cf. "Inicia-se [=a
boundary
> of a nature reserve that is described here] no ponto do limite
dos
> Estados do Tocantins, Piauí e Maranhão (Ponto 1); daí, segue
pelo
> limite dos Estados do Piauí e Tocantins, até atingir o ponto de
> limite dos Estados do Piauí, Tocantins e Bahia (Ponto 2)" (art.
3).
> The two points are probably very close, though.
>
> "The locals" (the ones that don't know ;)) seem to think the
Pedra da
> Baliza is the quadripoint. I read a story about running around it
and
> thus visiting four states in a very short time. Sounds familiar.
>
> Peter S.
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Smaardijk"
> <smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> > Pedra da Baliza ( http://www.jalapao.com.br/fotos/jaft_03.htm
) is
> > supposed to be the quadripoint of Tocantins, Maranhão,
Bahia, and
> > Piauí states, according to a couple of web sites that I have
read.
> > Though I am not sure whether "ponto referencial" is
something
> similar
> > to a boundary marker...
> >
> > Here it is again: