Subject: Karolis, did you read the Navassa case?
Date: Apr 05, 2003 @ 03:01
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

It is interesting, because it addresses the issue of pregnant women
being on the island to make their child a US citizen. That doesn't
happen there. Firstly, I learned there was a 2000 revision in the US
immigration law where children of tourists no longer get citizenship
automatically. Even if that change hadn't occurred, Navassa only
"appertains" to the US under the law that placed it under US
sovereignty, and isn't part and parcel of the US, partly because of a
lack of an "organic" law. Children born on Guam are automatically
U.S. citizens, but as you can see from the text of the case, crimes
committed on Navassa under the Guano Act is handled judicially by the
US the same way as crimes on U.S. ships on the high seas.

Regards

Len