Subject: Re: BYLTLV
Date: Mar 31, 2003 @ 09:40
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen" <jesniel@i...>
wrote:
> Two topomaps
>
> 1) byltlv-pre1991
> Old Russian map, BYLT border goes NE towards TP
>
> 2) byltlv10000
> Present map, BYLT slightly NW towards TP
>
> I don't know if this is due to poor mapping. The BYs seems to want
> control the border.
>
> Jesper

I don't know either what is going on here, but it might just be the
result of demarcating the border after 1991. Internal SU boundaries
were normally not demarcated, or at least that is what I understood
from reading about the subject. The second map has the tripoint
marker, with its name in three languages, very clearly located on the
tripoint. I guess that this is the actual tripoint, agreed on by all
parties.

The draft agreement on the tripoint (16 March 1998) is at
http://pravo2000.by.ru/baza10/d09210.htm . I will translate part of
it:

Article 1.
1. The point where the state boundaries of the Republic of
Belorussia, the Latvian Republic, and the Lithuanian Republic meet,
hereafter called boundary meeting point, is situated north-west of
Ljudvinovo lake and has the following co-ordinates, graphically
defined:
In the co-ordinates system of 1942: 554050,66 N and 263756,85 E;
In the Latvian co-ordinates system of 1992 (LKS - 92): 554050,17 N
and 263749,79 E;
In the Lithuanian co-ordinates system of 1994 (LKS - 94): 554050,17 N
and 263749,79 E.
2. The location of the boundary meeting point is shown on the Map of
the Boundary Meeting Point of the Republic of Belorussia, Latvian
Republic, and Lithuanian Republic, Scale 1:10000, which is added to
this Agreement and forms an inalienable part of it.

Article 2.
1. The Parties will put up a special boundary marker "Ljudvinovo" to
mark the boundary meeting point.
2. The boundary marker "Ljudvinovo" is made up of four elements: a
central geodetical marker, placed on the boundary meeting point, and
three four-sided columns.
Every column of the boundary marker "Ljudvinovo" will have on the
side that faces the boundary meeting point a coat-of-arms, the name
of the state and of the boundary marker "Ljudvinovo". The
inscriptions will be in the language of the state on which territory
the column is situated.
The co-ordinates of all elements of the said marker will be
established instrumentally.

Article 3.
1. In order to establish the location of the boundary meeting point
in the field, the Parties will istruct their plenipotentiary organs
for the demarcation of the state boundary to work out a project for
the boundary marker "Ljudvinovo", to put up the marker, and to
prepare a Protocol of the Boundary Marker "Ljudvinovo" and a Map of
Demarcation of the Meeting Point of the State Boundaries of the
Republic of Belorussia, the Latvian Republic, and the Lithuanian
Republic, to be added to the Protocol.
2. The documents mentioned in point 1 of this article consist of six
copies, each in Belorussian, Latvian, and Lithuanian, and will be
part of the set of documents on the demarcation of the Belorussian-
Latvian, Belorussian-Lithuanian, and Latvian-Lithuanian state
boundaries.

(...)

Peter S.