Subject: Re: Xapitelako Harria - > Basque enclaves etc.
Date: Mar 25, 2003 @ 13:37
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002" <orc@o...> wrote:
> great idea peter
> & very interesting besides
> to do the punctoscopy entirely from the basque point of view
>
> & i realize it is full of unsolved problems
> since the administrative subdivisions are asymmetrical
> the place names are in several languages
> the shorthand is improvisational & provisional as usual
> etc etc
> but it is a fantastic try
>
> i believe i understand & agree with your identification of a single
> most comprehensive basque tripoint
> based on the tricolor map i posted previously
> & situated in the bidasoa
> where the basque & navarre autonomous communities of spain
> meet the unorganized french basque country
> which latter i gather is called iparralde as a unity

Yes, but not officially. In fact, it is discouraged (e.g. by the
Egunkaria newspaper journalist manual) to use Iparralde on the same
level as the southern provinces, since it itself is divided into
three. Some people from the south (called Hegoalde, i.e. the South
Side) tend to think that Iparralde is the fifth Basque province,
which it isn't of course.

> hence i would have thought eu2baipna
> aka esfr2banapy
> or maybe esfr2ginapy
> for the naming of it
>
> yet this assessment may still be an oversimplification
> judging from the bascocentric map in
> http://www.basque-red.net/eng/euskaeng/eheng.htm
> which ignores the part of esfr that splits navarre in 2
> & reopens the question of exactly how many bascocentric
> basque subdivisions there are
> 3 or 6 or 7

The most powerful political slogan of the Basque is:
3+4=1
Another one is "Zazpiak Bat" ("The Seven Are One")
But there are those that use "Seiak Bat" ("The Six Are One")
The Basque coat-of-arms is made up of six provincial coat-of-arms,
because both Lower and Upper Navarre use the same coat-of-arms
(the "Navarre chains").
The division into three units is only showing the present
administrative divisions: B.A.C., Navarre, and (part of) Pyrénées
Atlantiques. Of course this is not to the liking of most of the
Basque, so they don't use it that often. Especially the fact that
Navarre is not part of the B.A.C. is very painful for many Basques.
When the B.A.C. came into being, it was explicitely provided for by
the statute (1979) that Navarre would, at any time in the future,
join the B.A.C. Even the coat-of-arms was made up of the four
provincial ones. Navarre protested, and now one of the quarters of
the coat-of-arms of the B.A.C. is conspicuously empty.

> & therefore how many major tripoints
> only the 1 biggie or the several you have already identified
> or perhaps a couple of extra ones too at the terminal points
> where the 2 navarres meet
>
> it is a wonderful puzzle in any case
> & i dont yet see what the most basque solution would be
> tho you may well have considered & resolved that already
>

> also
> another bascocentric map
> http://www.basque-red.net/eng/euskaeng/ehmoveng.htm
> suggests a basque clavoscopy also might be added to our
> basque punctoscopy

The enclave situation for Iparralde is a bit blurred, because of the
fact that the three provinces haven't been used as administrative
units. Normally the municipality of Jestaze/Gestas is considered to
be an exclave of Zuberoa, but a couple of years ago I came across a
map that connected the municipality to main Zuberoa, however without
erasing the existing borders, i.e. the connection is left
unincorporated... It surely is a mistake by the map makers.
Furthermore is the municipality of Samatze/Sames sometimes considered
to be an exclave of Lower Navarre, in between Lapurdi (Gixune/Guiche)
and the Landes departement, but more often it is depicted as lying in
Lapurdi.

Real en/exclaves can be found in the south: The municipality of
Petilla de Aragón (two Navarrese exclaves within Zaragoza province:
one with the village, and another one called Los Baztanes de
Petilla); Villaverde de Trucios (an exclave of Cantabria in Biscay);
the county of Treviño (two municipalities, Condado de Treviño and La
Puebla de Arganzon, that form an exclave of Burgos province in
Araba); and Orduña, an exclave of Biscay bordering Araba and Burgos.

Petilla de Aragón is peculiar in another way: according to a survey
in 1996, it was one of only four Navarrese municipalities where
nobody speaks Basque. Yet is one of the very few Navarrese
municipalities having a mayor who is a member of the Basque
nationalist party EAJ-PNV...

> btw i think the eh diglyph is used for western sahara

Probably reserved for them by Spain :-))

> tho the eu may also be reserved
> for the european union
> i dont know
> but if necessary maybe ek would do & be unmistakable too

Let's rush to ISO, before they take that away from us too...

Peter S.