Subject: Re: Xapitelako Harria - the main Basque tripoint
Date: Mar 25, 2003 @ 12:34
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

great idea peter
& very interesting besides
to do the punctoscopy entirely from the basque point of view

& i realize it is full of unsolved problems
since the administrative subdivisions are asymmetrical
the place names are in several languages
the shorthand is improvisational & provisional as usual
etc etc
but it is a fantastic try

i believe i understand & agree with your identification of a single
most comprehensive basque tripoint
based on the tricolor map i posted previously
& situated in the bidasoa
where the basque & navarre autonomous communities of spain
meet the unorganized french basque country
which latter i gather is called iparralde as a unity

hence i would have thought eu2baipna
aka esfr2banapy
or maybe esfr2ginapy
for the naming of it

yet this assessment may still be an oversimplification
judging from the bascocentric map in
http://www.basque-red.net/eng/euskaeng/eheng.htm
which ignores the part of esfr that splits navarre in 2
& reopens the question of exactly how many bascocentric
basque subdivisions there are
3 or 6 or 7
& therefore how many major tripoints
only the 1 biggie or the several you have already identified
or perhaps a couple of extra ones too at the terminal points
where the 2 navarres meet

it is a wonderful puzzle in any case
& i dont yet see what the most basque solution would be
tho you may well have considered & resolved that already

also
another bascocentric map
http://www.basque-red.net/eng/euskaeng/ehmoveng.htm
suggests a basque clavoscopy also might be added to our
basque punctoscopy

btw i think the eh diglyph is used for western sahara
tho the eu may also be reserved
for the european union
i dont know
but if necessary maybe ek would do & be unmistakable too

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Peter Smaardijk
<smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> ESFR2GINAPY, EH2GILANA, or even ESFR2AQEUNA
(Aquitaine, Euskadi,
> Nafarroa)...: The spot is known as Xapitelako Harria
(Chapitelaco-arria
> in the boundary treaty), and is near the hamlet of Endarlatsa
> (Endarlaza in Spanish). I have attached a picture and a map of
the
> area, in which I have drawn the boundaries. The picture can be
found at
> http://www.animsa.es/navarra/lesaka/eu/paisaje1.htm , and
the map is
http://b5m.gipuzkoa.net/liz5000/?w=1024 .