Subject: SV: SV: [BoundaryPoint] Barak - possible location
Date: Mar 13, 2003 @ 19:36
Author: Christian Berghänel (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Christian_Bergh=E4nel?= <christian.berghanel@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next

From: Grant Hutchison
To: BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: SV: [BoundaryPoint] Barak - possible location

> Margilan and Fergana are not only not near Kara-Suu, but even in a
> different province.
GeoNet lists a village in Uzbekistan called Barat or Barak at 40 33N,
71 42E, quite close to Margilan but lying to its NE, rather than in
the direction of Farghona.
The only other Barak it lists in either Uzbekistan or Kyrgyzstan lies
in the hill country between Tashkent and Bukhara.

I just found a report from "Fewer.org" called "Early Warning Report on the
Ferghana Valley" (it's from December 2001) -
http://www.fewer.org/casia/ewfv1201.pdf

I have not had the time to read all of it yet,
but at page 11 (p 12 of the pdf-document)
it says:
"Tensions in the Barak enclave in Kyrgyzstan,
3 km from the Kyrgyz-Uzbek border,[...]"

Christian Berghänel
Sweden