Subject: Re: SV: [BoundaryPoint] Barak - possible location
Date: Mar 13, 2003 @ 09:17
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

That is strange. I have read a couple of times in Russian articles
that Barak is part of Ak-Taš.

Cf. http://www.caapr.kz/show.php?caa2103-02.htm

The writer of the article interviews an official of Kara-Suu rayon
(Kara-Suu is the town on the border in the north-east of my scan)
about the situation in the enclave.

He also interviews one Salamat Alamanov, co-chairman of the Kyrgyz-
Uzbek boundary commission, who says "(...) Yes, Kyrgystan has its own
enclave in Uzbek territory. It is the village Barak, which belongs to
Ak-Taš village council, Kara-Suu rayon, Oš province, and in which=
589
people live. (...) We came too late to the understanding that Barak
was an enclave on the territory of Korgon-Tjubinskij rayon, Andižan
province, in Uzbekistan."

Margilan and Fergana are not only not near Kara-Suu, but even in a
different province.

So unless it is extremely far from the village council seat, I'd say
it's more likely to be just over the border at Ak-Taš.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Christian Berghänel

http://home.no.net/enklaver/kyrgyzstan.htm
> it says:
>
> "There exists a tiny Kyrgyz village, Barak, in the Fergana Valley
region where Kyrgyzstan,
> Tajikistan and Uzbekistan meet. The village is surrounded by Uzbek
territory and located
> between the cities of Margilan and Fergana» (Palmberg.)"
>
> Margilan and Fergana are the two biggest towns in the map chris
sent six-seven messages back...