Subject: Re: News about Barak (the Kyrgyz' exclave)
Date: Mar 12, 2003 @ 09:53
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I suspect this is a mistake. In the last article in the Veèernij
Biškek about the enclave that I found (21 Febr. 2003), it reads "over
600 people" ( http://www.vb.kg/2003/02/21/sobkor/1.html ). In an
older article in the same newspaper (from 2001,
http://www.vb.kg/2001/04/19/06.htm ) it reads "seven hundred souls,
over a hundred households". At http://www.caapr.kz/show.php?caa2103-
02.htm , the number of families is 121. In this article from Kyrgyz
Tuusu ( http://province.freenet.kg/osh.php3?newsid=267 ), 24 Sept.
2002, the following figures are given:

Appr. 560 people (155 families)
255 ha of land
47 ha of which is in use for wheat growing and
95 ha is in use for cotton growing
The school has 160 pupils

They make their own bread, and the village hospital and school are in
good state.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Grant Hutchison"

http://www.crisisweb.org/projects/asia/centralasia/reports/A400606_040