Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Border Towns Are Close Enough to Touch but Worlds Apart
Date: Mar 09, 2003 @ 18:55
Author: Doug Murray (Doug Murray <doug@...>)

It's a weird situation with the US borders these days. As a Canadian,
I deal with the border on nearly a weekly basis. It is but 35km south
of my Vancouver home.

I totally understand the US need to have secure borders and know who is
coming into their country. But it seems to me that the increased
vigilance at official crossings not only penalizes Canadians and
Mexicans, but Americans as well. Surely terrorists are not going to
cross at the Peace Arch. They're going to sneak across Zero Avenue or
somewhere in the middle of nowhere. If they even enter the US that way
at all.

I'm not sure what the answer is (though I support a North American
solution -- perhaps similar to the EU). But I definitely think that
more monitoring of the middles-of-nowhere would be more effective and
less painful to the average law abiding North American citizen.

Strange days, indeed.

Doug

On Sunday, March 2, 2003, at 07:52 AM, Francisco <xuax@...>
wrote:

> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen"
> <jesniel@i...> wrote:
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/24/national/24TOWN.html?
> ex=1046754000&en=4c9bbfd0734f4f07&ei=5038&partner=ASAHI
> >
> > http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=32.6175&lon=-116.18889
>
> Is this the Free World that to knocked down the Berlin Wall?
>
> Francisco,
> Portugal

<image.tiff>