Subject: Re: What is Cölbe?
Date: Mar 04, 2003 @ 22:05
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Meynell <kevin@m...>
wrote:
> Francisco,
>
> >Why "ridiculously"? Shouldn't get bigger?
>
> I think it absolutely should get bigger if new countries can bring
> something to the union and are ready for membership. In the longer-
term, I
> don't think the EU should necessarily be restricted to Europe
either.

> This said, whatever your vision on what the EU should be (a 'united
states'
> of Europe, or a looser cooperative), it's very clear that it cannot
expand
> further without radical changes in the way that it's organised. For
> example, the three-way decision making (Council of Ministers,
Parliament
> and Commission) is ridiculously cumbersome, the European Commission
is
> almost totally unaccountable to anyone, and we even have to put-up
with the
> pretence and expense of three official working languages, despite
the
> reality that everyone uses English.
>
> In many respects I would welcome a federal structure and
established
> constitution because it would clearly demarcate the
responsibilities of EU
> and those of the member states. At the moment, this is determined
by a
> myriad of treaties and legislation which no-one really understands.
> However, recent events have shown there is no absolutely no common
ground
> within the EU in certain areas such as foreign policy and defence,
and I
> can't see these aspects ever being derogated to the EU in the way
they were
> by the US states to a federal government.
>
> >but in the European Union it is shifting among the centers of
Paris,
> >Berlin and Brussels. Sometimes is also pulled by London
>
> The fundamental problem with the EU is the old adage, 'two's
company,
> three's a crowd'. The EU would probably work without too many
problems if
> any one country from either France, Germany and the UK were not
involved ;-)

> Regards,
>
> Kevin Meynell
>
> PS. The usual apologies for the lack of punctilious content, but
there
> seems to be little around at the moment.

no need to ever apologize about that
as far as i am concerned
tho i appreciate your sensibility kevin

& ordinary exactitude is fine too

& really this is everyones land

yes thats right
we discovered & are unfolding everyones land here at bp

so i believe anything anyone likes is still impeccable
even if it isnt multipunctilious

i personally wouldnt multiply or repeat anything that is offpoint tho

yet i know that would be hard rule for say new members to observe
given we cant even offer them an easy search function
so i say just enjoy the breezes
from whatever quarter or pretext they come
while remembering why we have all agreed to be here together

perhaps others have a different opinion tho

i know for example our host bill prefers no spam or politics
while i of course support him but also like the all parties party

yet it may be just a matter of taste & of no consequence anyway

if there were traffic jams here then it might be a different story

& everyone so likes to be part of our multidimensional action
so i say why limit anyone or anything
especially if they are having fun

but please anyone correct me if you think this is out of focus