Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Continent border
Date: Feb 24, 2003 @ 22:33
Author: John Seeliger ("John Seeliger" <jseelige@...>)

From: <listen@...>
To: <BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 11:10 AM
Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Continent border

> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Meynell <kevin@m...> wrote:
> > One could argue about where the continental boundaries lie forever.
>
> I think the point is that the concept of continents is a cultural
convention. It is not clearly defined what a continent should be (as opposed
to an island), neither how continental borders are defined.

> The convention may also differ from country to country. E.g. it is my
understanding that the Anglo Saxon world regards South & North America as
two separate continents. In Europe, they are often regarded as one.

> Here's an example of one of the conventions for "Europe"

http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~tmuehle/europa/europa/europadat/europa_karte.h
tm
> (actually my idea differs in some points)
>
> All the ambiguities aside, continents ought to be geographic entities, and
political borders should not be criteria at all.

I agree with the above statement.

I would put the EUAS border farther south, in the Causcusus mountains, as
one of my atlases does.