Subject: Re: re indexing
Date: Feb 15, 2003 @ 15:27
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "anorak222 <listen@w...>"
<listen@w...> wrote:
> I just found this thread about indexing the archive. Some points:
>
> 1. Yahoo is good for what it does, and free. It only lacks a good
search functin, but it's nice that they keep the entire history of
the forum online.

> 2. It would be fairly easy to create an index page with direct
links to all 9,000ish messages, but not full text search. A day or
two work.

> 3. Moving to a different standard forum provider might or might not
give a good search function, but they would not import the old
messages and files from Yahoo. They would all be lost. You'd perhaps
have a wonderful search function, but not much content to search in
any more.

> 4. The ideal solution would be an hand tailored online data base
which would handle all the messages, the full forum functionality, e-
mail forwarding, as well as give full text and index search, and
handle the uploaded files in a separate, well ordered section. The
old discussions and files could be imported from the Yahoo forum
initially, so they'd remain intact. This project would technically
feasible and not really difficult, but a lot of work (couple of
weeks).

> Regards

thanx for this research anorak

still it boils down to
who is there to bell the cat

& no problem if it were only a couple of weeks of hard play
but i cant volunteer nor advocate that anyone else undertake this
unless there is some very focussed reason & desire for the result

after all
we do already have a search function
cockamamie as it is