Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: octopoint? Translation
Date: Feb 12, 2003 @ 17:56
Author: John Seeliger ("John Seeliger" <jseelige@...>)

From: <listen@...>
To: <BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 11:06 AM
Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Re: octopoint? Translation

> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Arif Samad <fHoiberg@y...>
> wrote:
> > For
> > example, in United States, in general cities are
> > smaller than counties, but in New York City, the city
> > is bigger.
>
> This is something that couldn't happen here.

I don't know of any cities that entirely contain two or more counties, save
New York, but there are cities that cross county boundaries. Dallas has
most of its territory in Dallas County, but a bit of Far North Dallas is in
Collin County near Plano. Grand Prarie is in both Dallas and Tarrant
County. I am sure a lot of others are like that as well. They recently had
to move the Denton-Tarrant County line south because both counties were
charging some people taxes. The people preferred to live in Denton County
where the taxes were less. The case went to court and that is why the line
was moved. I think there was some talk about moving the Dallas-Denton line
south too because it is supposed to be a continuation of the Tarrant-Denton
line, but they never did. No idea if the move resulted in Fort Worth moving
up into Denton county (for all I know, it was already there)

> > I have my doubts that in any country, there is a
> > strict system that goes six deep. Even my
> > neighborhood is four deep, I think.
> > Secondly, even if six orders exist, it would be stupid
> > to have all six orders to be functional. Can you
> > think what would happen if all six orders charged
> > taxes? Nightmare.

0. Country
1. State
2. County
3. City
4. Precinct

perhaps? Then again, you could have precincts without a city and I guess
precincts could cross city lines. I am not sure about county lines. There
are also school districts which can cross city and county lines.