Subject: Re: octopoint? Translation
Date: Feb 10, 2003 @ 22:49
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Arif Samad <fHoiberg@y...>
wrote:
> A sextenary octapoint? Interesting. We never go any
> higher than four in either word generally, do we?

well i think we have seen a quintenary or sextenary quintipoint in
france
which may have been the previous record holder
if you are marvelling at both together

> rigid sixth-order division to me would be about as
> interesting an actapoint.

rigid i dont know about

local government is always individualistic somehow
sooner or later
on some level
so parallelism inevitably breaks down

& even the world class or primary level breaks for anomalies
like the church

> Then again, I am not hundred percent sure that it
> would end up being a sixth-order, though it is quite
> possible. Where is a Finnish expert when you need
> them?
> First of all, muncipalities are rarely very rigid as
> an order of division in most parts of the world. For
> example, in United States, in general cities are
> smaller than counties, but in New York City, the city
> is bigger. I don't know what the case in Finland is.
> I have my doubts that in any country, there is a
> strict system that goes six deep.

france apparently does
but such official reality seems elusive & arcane from here

Even my
> neighborhood is four deep, I think.
> Secondly, even if six orders exist, it would be stupid
> to have all six orders to be functional. Can you
> think what would happen if all six orders charged
> taxes? Nightmare. Even if communes are sixth-order
> divisions, they might end up being third or fourth in
> functional terms.

i believe norway &or sweden has communes functioning directly beneath
the provinces
or in other words at the true tertiary level
with some intervening but politically meaningless levels in between

so that was my original thought with finland too

but anyhow & in a nutshell
all these levels are highly variable & often fairly meaningless
& any rigidity they may seem to have or that we may want to give them
is often just illusionary anyway

i think they are just fun words to throw around