Subject: Re: Most Northerly Photo op more like it
Date: Jan 25, 2003 @ 14:29
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Craig Rowland
<trehala@y...> wrote:
> Help me out here people.
>
> Just before crossing from Nuorgam, Finland into
> Polmak, Norway, this marker appears. It is my
> understanding that the coordinates listed:
>
> 77.79 P ( = North) and
> 35.36 I ( = East)
>
> place us somewhere in the Barents Sea south of
> Svalbard. Can anyone explain this to me?

craig
that is novel
as well as fascinating
& i dont pretend to understand
but i do have a theory to offer

first
clearly these arent normal degrees & hundredths
but rather
evidently
some kind of wacky degrees & wacky minutes

the strange number of 79 minutes in the latitude
suggests
at least
as i think you also must have surmised
that these so called minutes arent sixtieths of a degree at all
but more likely hundredths of a degree

if so
then the degrees also might be in a similarly weird centile format
likely projecting 100 instead of 90 degrees from equator to pole
just another guess
but
converting such wacky latitude to normal latitude
by multiplying 77point79
by 90 hundredths
yields 70 deg 0 min 40 sec

& this looks close enough to reality on my best inadequate map
that i would pause
before going on to try the equally wacky longitude
to ask anyone with a better map to see if this first guess looks
close enough to proceed

or better yet
peter may know the exact coords of monument 343
to confirm or bust this guess outright

> Of course, as we border freaks know, this is /not/ the
> northernmost point in the EU. I would cut through a
> field and skid down a sandy cliff to get there :-)

then assuming you are serious & i understand you rightly
this would appear to place you & the wacky coords near or very
near fino marker 343
as mentioned by peter in message 8711
which also appears to place dry bpn itself in the river
with the marker being actually only a riparian witness monument

so btw it seems the supposedly dry bpn is actually wet
while truly dry bpn would have to be a riverside point
situated somewhere as yet unknown between the thalweg &
marker 343

tho this too may be a question peters source could also help to
resolve