Subject: Re: CAFR: The mystery remains
Date: Jan 11, 2003 @ 19:21
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

well upon further reflection & examination of the map in
message 8594
i really dont think there is much of a mystery here any more

the positions of the turn points at the coastal extremities of the 2
islets are specified in the treaty as those occurring at low tide

but the islets are shown on the topo in message 8594 not at low
tide but at mean sea level

& that is why the border as depicted on the topo seems to clear
the islets completely

so i think it is now safe to conclude
if there is any dry cafr boundary
it would first have to be merely a metaboundary as described in
message 8367 rather than any regular sort of boundary
& in addition it would have to occur only at low tide
but vanish along with the land it crosses as the tide rises over it

i dont think any map will be found to depict this evanescent effect
nor any authority or expert to vouch for it
yet i think we are right to conclude that it must occur
however microscopically &or momentarily &or academically

curiously
while not pretending to be an accurate depiction of anything
the inner edges of the stylized boundary stripe on the topo
does actually appear to cut across both of the islets
as if to mimic or suggest this sort of
now you see it & now you dont
phenomenon

a wonderful outcome
even if completely fortuitous & practically unreal

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Murray"
<doug@d...> wrote:

> I picked up the CAFR topos -- and (not surprisingly) our answer
is not there. I think it is time to ring the Canadian Coast Guard in
Newfoundland...

> Attached is a scan of the map (1:50,000) -- showing Green
Island, Little Green Islands and Enfant Perdu. If there is a
lightstation on Green Island, surely someone will know where
the border is.