Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Just another day at the office...
Date: Jan 08, 2003 @ 12:01
Author: Peter Smaardijk (Peter Smaardijk <smaardijk@...>)

--- "acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...> wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Peter
>
> > The materials used and
> > the construction guarantee that they will serve up to 50 years,
> and the
> > painting on the outside holds 20 years.
>
> hmm
> many if not most other types of border monuments are meant to
> last & have lasted for centuries
>
> so i wonder why they are so pleased about such comparatively
> short life expectancies

Well, it is a guarantee. So within these 50 years you'll get your money
back, probably. And it doesn't mean you don't have to do maintenance.

And these poles are a bit more vulnerable than low stones or plaques.
Take a BENL marker: I've seen some in a pretty sad state, due to lack
of maintenance.

> it would seem like an extraordinary waste of money & labor to
> actually plan on such rapid deterioration repair & replacement

Well... not to the factory. They want to keep a market for themselves -
for now and in the future. A common strategy. It may be a state
factory, but they're probably on "chozraschot" (i.e. they have to make
a profit, because financially they're independent from the state).

> but could the reason be that in eastern europe the borders
> themselves arent expected to last very long
> so maybe they think they are actually economizing in this way

A bit cynical but therefore also probable.

Peter S.