Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Just another day at the office...
Date: Jan 08, 2003 @ 10:53
Author: Peter Smaardijk (Peter Smaardijk <smaardijk@...>)

--- Ernst Stavro Blofeld <blofeld_es@...> wrote:

> The second link, that may or may not have been posted
> here before, is a summary of the changes of the border
> between Germany and Poland and its border markers
> since 1945. The document states changes that have been
> made in the border, and shows pictures of different
> types of border markers. As you are doubtlessly aware
> the border is marked with the double poles that seem
> to be fairly common in eastern Europe.

If you're interested in buying some of these:

The Instruments Factory (Priborostroitel'nyj zavod) of the Russian
Ministery of Nuclear Energy not only makes complicated stuff for
nuclear power plants and some other instruments that we're not aware of
and not supposed to be aware of, but also some products for the
consumer market, like rotary pumps, trailers, decorative parts for in
churches, casted works of art, steam baths, and... boundary markers. At
http://imwp.tpi.ac.ru/cordon.html , it says:

"Purpose:
The boundary pole is primarily meant for the marking of the state
boundary of the Russian Federation in every physical and geographical
condition of its course.

Properties: The mass of the material doesn't exceed 15 kg. The material
used is a base of glass material, which allows that demands of
firmness, stability, and resistance to mechanical, climatological, and
biological factors are reached.
The metal elements are made of stainless steel. The materials used and
the construction guarantee that they will serve up to 50 years, and the
painting on the outside holds 20 years. The construction of the pole
makes unpermitted removal of details (coat-of-arms, base collar), and
also of the entire pole, impossible.

The set consists of:

border pole
base collar
placing element
mounting kit"

A picture is provided on the site (as exhibited in Sept. 2001 in
Tr�chgornyj, the city where the factory is located).

So, do you want to buy one? Getting one the illegal way is going to be
difficult.

Alas, no prices.

Peter S.