Subject: Re: 15 islands dumped by usa illegally
Date: Dec 20, 2002 @ 02:08
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Karolis B.
<kbajoraz@y...>" <kbajoraz@y...> wrote:
> well, the Americans ratified it legally in any case.

yes i believe so
but a treaty must be mutually & completely ratified before it can
take any effect

it cant become binding on one party before it becomes binding
on the other

also
i have no idea
unless you or someone can fill me in
how either of the treaties in question
1867 & 1990
actually distributed any of the 8 islands in question
& thus no idea how mutual ratification affected any of them
or would have affected any of them
whichever the case may be

so to my mind all the rest is still wild supposition & speculation
however amusing

i wonder what the 100 icebound eskimos on wrangel say of it tho
when they are visited by an icebreaker every few years

The question
> then remains has Russia/USSR reatified the treaty legally. If
so,
> then the border is established. If not, then theoretically its not.
> But then you can look at it two ways: a)America has ratified it,
so
> to America it exists as its own outer limit; b) it is not legally in
> effect so America should either give up the claims to the
islands or
> fight Russia for them in ICJ or at war or whatever and as long
as
> claims aren't given up they should do everything there
including the

<orc@o...>"
> <orc@o...> wrote:
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Karolis B.
> > <kbajoraz@y...>" <kbajoraz@y...> wrote:
> > > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002
> > <orc@o...>"
> > >
> > > hah! - no congressional consent. wasn't it the Congress
that
> > ratified
> > > the treaty?
> >
> > i think so
> > but the soviet legislature didnt
> > so baker & shevardnadze cut a secret deal to ratify it
extralegally