Subject: Re: SPM, coastal boundaries
Date: Dec 15, 2002 @ 19:47
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

nice idea & try but
http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/torres_strait/map.html
seems to disqualify it as a strictly coastal boundary

& another thing occurs to me
even if we should find any that supposedly do qualify
must the boundaries then literally follow a coastline
or might they merely follow the straight baselines along a coast

in view of things like this & the other bifurcations previously noted
what may at first have seemed like an elegantly simple list &
proposition just keeps ramifying into complexity & multiplicity

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "anton_zeilinger
<anton_zeilinger@h...>" <anton_zeilinger@h...> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Doesn't the border between Australia and Papua-New Guinea
along the
> New Guinea coast line? There are some islands right of the
coast of
> Papua New Guinea which belong to Australia, and on some
maps the
> maritime boundary seems to follow the coast. Does anyone
know whether

<orc@o...>"
> <orc@o...> wrote:
> > yikes
> > but does he realize what coastal means
> >
> > so far the coastal boundaries list appears to include only
cyuk for
> > sure
> > if indeed my info is correct
> > & maybe cafr
> > if indeed that one actually follows the coast
> > rather than only touching the coast
> > as do so many others
> > a matter which hasnt yet been confirmed one way or the
other
> > it may be worth remembering
> >
> > perhaps a few coastal condo boundaries could be added
just for
> > the sake of beefing the list up
> > such as esfr & hnnisv
> > but these are different & may be appreciated as a separate
class
> > either more or less special depending on taste
> >
> > however mwtz & ltru & dedk are part of a much longer & less
> > distinguished list of noncoastal shoreline boundaries
> >
> > the 2 lists combined might well be called shoreline
boundaries