Subject: Re: Graham/ferdinandea Island
Date: Dec 14, 2002 @ 07:01
Author: Karolis B. <kbajoraz@yahoo.com> ("Karolis B. <kbajoraz@...>" <kbajoraz@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002 <orc@o...>"
<orc@o...> wrote:
> interesting one
>
> i believe i once read that an island loses its territory & its
> nationality when it ceases to exist
> according to some principle of international law
>
> i think i saw this in connection with tuvalu
> where they are very nervous about losing their whole country
> albeit gradually rather than abruptly
> but i think the principle may be the same
>
> also by the same token
> how can an island be claimed until it actually emerges
> or reclaimed until it actually reemerges
> etc
>
> i dont think it can

i don't neither. but was I a greatX4grandson of the guy who had
claimed the island, i'd probably be thinking otherwise. what else i
was thinking, is that since all that flag raising stuff means close
to nothing nowadays, how can an island that would emerge in Italian
EEZ belong to antoher country. even if it did, as long as it is
underwater it is part of Italian continental shelf. back in the days
when countries didn't have maritime claims anyone could claim any
islands. But if now Italian continental shelf would emerge above
water, it would only make sense for it to form Italian soil, btw also
giving a new point for territorial sea claims. but I guess some legal
action should be taken should it emerge for it to come under any
sovereignty. If there's an island in non-territorial sea, then it's
nobody's island. If there's more than one claim (and the claim has to
be by the gov't, not an island-freak guy) it has to go before ICJ.
Now, if this actually happened, who wants to bet on the ICJ's
decision? 100 bucks on Italy :) i mean 100 euros;)