Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: ca-nl
Date: Dec 11, 2002 @ 22:17
Author: Bramwell Hayes (=?iso-8859-1?q?Bramwell=20Hayes?= <bramwellhayes@...>)

Presuambly if sovereignity was ceeded by Canada,
Canada could not reverse such a decision as it would
have become Dutch sovereign territory, over which the
Canadian parliament would have had no jurisdiction. It
would have to be ceeded back to Canada by the
Netherlands by which ever constitutional means
available.

--- Michael Kaufman <mikekaufman79@...> wrote:
<HR>

<tt>
Was there a parliamentary act that reversed this and
ceded the hospital<BR>
room back to Canada?  Or is this still
technically Dutch territory?<BR>
thanks,<BR>
Mike K.<BR>
<BR>
--- "anton_zeilinger
<anton_zeilinger@...>"<BR>
<anton_zeilinger@...> wrote:<BR>
Meynell <kevin@m...> <BR>
> wrote:<BR>
> > I suppose I was wondering out loud whether
the enclave was actually <BR>
> created <BR>
> > in advance of the birth, or whether it was
'created' <BR>
> retrospectively. I'm <BR>
> > not sure that governments with more pressing
problems (i.e. being <BR>
> involved <BR>
> > in a war) would waste time worrying about
such legal niceties ;-)<BR>
> <BR>
> By now I am sure that this act of parliament
really did occur, since <BR>
> it can be found on almost any homepage about the
birth of Princess <BR>
> Margriet, and the reason given is very logical:
Due to a Dutch law <BR>
> that required any heir to the throne to be born
on Dutch soil, <BR>
> Canadian Parliament had taken the extraordinary
step of declaring the <BR>
> hospital room where the baby was born to be the
territory of the <BR>
href="http://www.legionmagazine.com/features/celebratingcanada/99-05.asp">http://www.legionmagazine.com/features/celebratingcanada/99-05.asp</a><BR>
> <BR>
> This seems to be quite logical, and I don't
believe it was made up. <BR>
> Of course the place where a baby is born doesn't
SEEM very important, <BR>
> but, don't forget, this baby was third in line to
the throne, and a <BR>
> few years later, when her mother became queen,
she was second in <BR>
> line. And of course these countries had a war to
win, but this act of <BR>
> parliament was a part of this effort, albeit a
small one! To ensure <BR>
> stability in a post-war Europe, any severe legal
problems had to be <BR>
> avoided at any cost! What if this Princess would
have been in the <BR>
> position to become queen? Nothing less than a
severe constitutional <BR>
> crisis in post-war NL, and that was to be
avoided! This doesn't seem <BR>
> THAT unimportant to me.<BR>
> <BR>
> Greetings,<BR>
> <BR>
> Anton<BR>
> <BR>
> PS: Please excuse my insisting on this legal
stuff, you have to <BR>
> understand, I'm a law student ;-)<BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up
now.<BR>
<a
href="http://mailplus.yahoo.com">http://mailplus.yahoo.com</a><BR>
</tt>

<tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms
of Service</a>.</tt>