Subject: Re: New States
Date: Dec 03, 2002 @ 23:59
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

tristate points certainly increased steadily in number as the
number of states grew

but such steady growth in the total number of federal tripoints
may be more illusory than real

triterritorial points & mongrel tripoints were constantly coming &
going & shifting position with every territorial reorganization

there must have been a great many such ghost tripoints that
never became tristate points
&or changed their names or compositions in the process

my favorite is the original armook point
which according to fig 28 in bus&ss
was actually a sort of arksmook quadriterritorial point
for lack of a more recognizably contemporary name

this was beginning in 1828
before 3 of its 4 constituent territories had become states
& only 2 had yet acquired their modern names
& ending perhaps as late as 1854
when kansas was admitted to the union in its present shape

i cant seem to pin down exactly when the northern boundary of
the indian territory that was to become oklahoma got pushed
north from the 37th to the 38th parallel

but that would be the moment when arksmook or whatever it
should be called became reduced to merely armook

i wonder if anyone can give the correct date

or maybe your deluxe boundary bible can answer this one jack

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "jparsell" <jparsell@n...> wrote:
> There were a lot more tripoints after this occurred. I believe
Freeborn
> County is in Minnesota. However, by the time NM was in there
were 47 States,
> since Wyoming and Oklahoma had been admitted earlier.
> Jack
>

> Clipping of the Day
> >From the Freeborn County Standard, 3 December 1885, page
6:

> There are six new states, perhaps seven, to be carved out of
the present
> Territories before many years: Dakota, Montana, New Mexico,
Utah, Idaho, and
> Washington. The date of their admission will depend more
upon the pleasure
> of Congress. When these are States, there will be forty-four
States in the