Subject: Re: St Pierre et Miquelon
Date: Dec 02, 2002 @ 21:55
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

a salute & a shrubbery for your quest my liege
as i found nrcan does offer a paper topo embracing this area

however
your dream is looking perfectly phantasmic
based on a national geograhic map i have that gives the entire
ile vert group to canada alone

btw it may also enhance your quest to know that this map calls
ile vert by the name green island
& its smaller companions the little green islands

also
tho i havent seen any but your latest map attachment
owing to my pdf blindness
i am puzzled to find your cafr line here so close in to them
& all the more so by the pointedness of your large red arrow

do you happen to know what that arrow is meant to indicate

other maps i have seen show cafr to be much farther west from
the green islands & thus closer to stp&m than does your map

also
if the green islands are inhabited
normally the cafr boundary might fall midway between them &
stp&m
but if they are unoccupied & useless rocks
they may not even have been a factor in the computation of the
equidistance line between greater newfy & st pierre

so that could at least explain why cafr is typically depicted as
being closer to the greens than to stm&p

also
the treaties of paris 1763 & versailles 1783
which reserved stp&m to france & name only these 2 islands &
no others
by one account specifically set midchannel as the boundary
tho i havent seen the full texts

so for all 4 reasons above i find it hard to imagine that your
dream could ever come close to materializing in waking reality

however
the 1992 arbitral award that set the stp&m maritime boundary
& which i also havent seen
could throw all the above data & conclusions to the winds
& could well be the ultimate authority you are looking for

apparently there is even a book about it
authored by none other than
e e douglas day
i kid you not
probably no relation to e e cummings
yet maybe your own alter eeguy
since every doug must have his day

good luck & vis tecum

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Doug Murray" <doug@d...> wrote:

> Here's a map showing Green Island and several others near
CAFR. My quest is to find a chart that covers this area... my
dream is that the boundary runs across one of the Islands.

mobilette
> an awkward hybrid between a motor scooter & a bicycle
> also requiring considerable hardiness & courage to operate
>
> to avoid slowing down at the many street intersections
> which might necessitate strenuous peddling to regain speed
> riders simply crossed their fingers & signalled their right of
way
> by ching ching chinging on their little bells as they whizzed
thru
> while pedestrians scurried in all directions
>
> it was all this whizzing & chinging & near misses in the fog
that
> characterized the distinctive local atmospherics in those days
>
> oh yes
> all traffic was supposed to keep right
> de jure
>
> but de facto it didnt much matter whether you kept right or left
> or to the middle
> as long as you dodged well
>
> so just as at bp today
> there was never any need to apologize for being off point
> since it was just assumed that everyone was equally
sovereign

wrote:
> > Doug et al,
> > I had an amazing opportunity to visit St Pierre et Miquelon
> (SPM) three
> > years ago to conduct some research on tourism
development.
> It's really a
> > fascinating little place, which is proudly French but borrows
> much from
> > Canada. The 'border' crossing between Canada and SPM
was
> interesting,
> > especially since only 13 people were on the same flight I
was
> on. It was
> > clear entering SPM that I was not entering the EU! Strange
> setup with its
> > own entry/border stamp in the passport, etc. It is VERY
> distinctively
> > European French, and they are offended by ignorant
tourists'
> perceptions
> > that they are somehow politically related to Quebec.
> >
> > Dallen
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.