Subject: Re: German web site
Date: Nov 25, 2002 @ 18:57
Author: Wolfgang Pietsch ("Wolfgang Pietsch" <wpi@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Arif Samad <fHoiberg@y...> wrote:
> I came upon Niedersachsen web site of
> http://www.lgn.de/ a few days ago, which can be used
> for topographic maps of two German curiosities. Near
> Bremerhaven is the Bremen exclave of Fehrmoor. Also
> the tiny mainland portion of Hamburg next to Scharhorn
> and Neuwerk is near Cuxhaven. The cool thing is that
> there is also at least one pier that starts in
> Niedersachsen and ends in Hamburg territory.
> Arif

From a helpful E-Mail by Arif ...

> I don't know if you have found the interactive maps. It is the
> NiedersachsenNavigator, the second site given in the main web page.
> This opens a separate window which you can use for the areas. If you
> can't find it, http://www.lgn.de/produkte/mapserver/demo/index.htm
> should do the trick.
> First of all, completely zoom out to the 1:5,000,000 maps.
> For Fehrmoor, first click on Bremerhaven to center, then zoom out
> one by one to the Northeastern portion of the Bremerhaven enclave.
> You should find it on 1:100,000 map and a highway goes through it.
> For the tiny mainland portion, center on Cuxhaven and go to
> 1:1,000,000 maps. You will see the boundary of Scharhorn and Neuwerk
> go right next to Cuxhaven in an apex. Go to this apex and that is
> where the tiny portion is.
> Arif

Yes, now it works. Arif, thanks for guidance !

What confused me was, Mozilla has a problem with the clickable maps.
They don't scroll. With Netscape I got it.

I believe, the "piers" near Neuwerk are just rows of wooden pales to
protect the beach against stormy waters, not for ships. Such are very
common at German coast lines. This part of the coast is a very flat
sand bank, Neuwerk can be reached by walk during low tide. I don't
believe there are piers for ships but I cannot confirm, haven't been
there.

Regards Wolfgang