Subject: Re: National Geographic Quiz
Date: Nov 24, 2002 @ 05:33
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Karolis B." <kbajoraz@y...> wrote:
> > you need a foreign exchange bank for that kind of transaction
> >
> > taking it to an ordinary commercial bank is just as pointless
as
> > taking it to a food bank or a blood bank
> >
> > but in general i think gratuitous bashing of yanks or any other
> > peoples is foolish too
> > no matter how seemingly clueless some of us or them may
be

> they said they would do it. but that's not the point at all.
> The point is that your average American doesn't understand
the
> concept of currency.

now now karolis
your point may well be about your average american
but not my average american
because my point is i dont have an average american
& i find your whole type casting game pointless & tasteless
not merely as an american but as a human being

Furthermore, some of those that do travel to
> Canada for example, think that they actually get more money
when they
> exchange. That's because Canada happens to call its
> currency "dollar". To a usual American "money" and "dollar" are
> synonims. And that's ridiculous! It is a statement of facts, and if
> you like call it "bashing" if you will. I bet you could find all
> sorts if ridiculous things about all sorts of nations, and just
> pointing that out doesn't mean despising the nation or
anything.

> > the national geographics society performs this hand
wringing
> > ritual every year or so
> > to drum up interest & subscriptions
> > & wallow in their own self importance
>
> so you're syaing that the people are gonna go like "omg! I don't
know
> where Iraq is either" and go subscribe to NatGeo?

please wake up
i am not saying anything of the kind

I would say that if
> they don't know where Iraq is they don't care about it either.
>
> > it is entirely predictable of them to do this
> >
> > & of course yanks generally are just as out of touch as they
say

> > wouldnt you be if everyone accepted your money & spoke
your
> > language & ate your hamburgers etc
>
> yet though "everyone accepts USD", speaks English an
supposedly eats
> hamburgers, there are those "yanks" that understand
currencies, speak
> different languages, and don't invite their foreign friends to
> McDonald's. How is that so? And what resons do for example
Europeans
> have to be intersted in abroad that Americans don't?
>
> > but to continue extrapolating & piling up anecdotal
confirmations
> > & stereotypical presumptions from these data
> > well
> > you wild & crazy guys are free to compound the folly as much
as
> > you like
> > but cluelessness is all that any of it is
>
> well, I thought it was only I, so no need for "you...guys"-wide
> defence yet;)

nor am i defending anything
but only laughing at all ridiculers
& quite appropriately so i believe