Subject: Re: ltplru Revisited
Date: Nov 18, 2002 @ 23:49
Author: Karolis B. ("Karolis B." <kbajoraz@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Jan S. Krogh" <jan.krogh@t...> wrote:
> Point 1 (first bend on the boundary north of the tp) according to
the LTRU
> border treaty is according my map on 54°22'06,7180"N 22°47'22,7845E.
> X - 6028563; Y - 4616421 (point 1, in the LTRU border treaty)is most
> probably according to Pulkovo 1942 (1). Ellipsoide: Krassovsky
1940, radius
> (a)=6378245, 1/f=298,3, delta X=28, Delta Y=-130 and Delta Z=-95.
>
> Can somebody convert this Pulkovo 1942(1) UTM - NB! NOT WGS84!!
>
> Enclosed it an updated map which is calculated accoring to two
known points
> (the ltru boundary at Vistytis' southern shore and ltplru). Earlier
I posted
> a picture (ltplru_20020708a.jpg) which also showed GPS tracks where
we from
> point 217 walked southwest to the the observation post (picture
named
> "Border fence II). "Border fence I" is photoed from the northern
side of the
> fence at point 216 which was the border according to the head of
the border
> police subdepartment.
> Anyway this is 113 meter from the borderline according to my
calculations.
> Does not even the local border police know where the border is?!?
>
> Jan
> http://home.no.net/enklaver

Jan, there is no freaking way that 216 can be the point where the
picture border fence 1 was taken! That little bunker/observation post
thing in BorderFence1 is just about as much west as we went. also
remember that the Soviet border fence and the LT-RU sandstrip south
of the fence form a pretty much right angle, and the bunker seen in
BorderFence1 is where the LT-RU sandsdstrip shoots off from the
soviet fence. Also remember that the LT-RU sandstrip if fenced off
with barbed wire an that at no point whatsoever did we get into the
sandstrip or west of it.
Now, if you look at the gps tracks, it shows that we went way west of
points 216 and 217. How is that possible? How could we have gone west
of the bunker and the sandstrip for like 100 meters? ESPECIALLY if it
was SOUTH of the Soviet fence, as your interpretation of the map
shows?
Now one thing that does not make sense. That bunker was the
westernmost we went and we visited it on both sides of the fence. But
if you look at the gps tracks, you will not see a westernmost place
visited on both sides of the fence. Notice the line going southwest
of 217. Maybe the signal broke off and that line should go as far as
that other double line that goes deepest into Russia.
Well, I think we had agreed the same day that those guys had not a
freaking idea as to what they were doing. First of all, remember, how
they called their central office in Vilnius to ask if they can let us
in behind the fence? Well, I've now read the laws, and it looks like
the captain dude actually had the authority to do that himself.
Secondly, after reading the legal regime of border rules before our
expedition I had them pretty much memorized and the captain only had
them in the jeep's glove compartment and I showed HIM where to look
for something (c'mon!) Lastly, they DO NOT know where the border is!,
he told us that that German piece of rail probably marked the border,
even though it was WAY in Lithuania, he told us that that fence by
the Vistytis Farms was the border, but its like 20 m in LT, and
lastly they DID lead us to the tp trough like a kilometer of Russian
territory, because they did not know that the sandstrip was much into
Russia (I mean, after all IT IS a RUSSIAN sandstrip!) And we should
have passed that stream that goes from poland to lt, to ru, to lt.
Other creeks in the area weren't dry, so I don't think it was either,
and even if it was, we should've seen a stream-bed, right? But we
only saw kinda swampy jungle, that probably meant a stream near it.
The fact is that we were so deep in Russia, that we even missed the
RUSSIAN part of that stream! Now it's funny to think back how the
border guys got stricter behind the fence and insisted to have us
sandwiched between them on the way to the tp, because really they had
no jurisdiction:)) (and they did for half a mile what they were
avoiding so much - to cross the LT border;)))

karolis

now, how do you attach graphics here?