Subject: Re: CAUS - NY276 (was VTNYQC)
Date: Nov 13, 2002 @ 15:10
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Meridien24" <meridien24@y...> wrote:
> Ya - it IS 649A. I noticed that mistake seconds after posting,
but
> thought I'd see if someone would figure it out :D
>
> 649B is on the other side (west) of the road, at the end of the
fence
> near the US Customs facility. It's close enough to the road,
that
> it's likely been hit by some drivers headed south...

wow
extremely gratifying to have intuited all this

thanx for leaving it up so someone could enjoy it that way too

> And about VTNYQC - my wife's the B.Sc. in environmental
planning, I'm
> just an amateur - I *very* likely gave you NAD83 numbers,
since
> they're GPS-compatible (which I reckon is based on NAD83?).

well i dont know about what the gps or software does
but the topo itself looks much earlier than 1983
so you may well have received the coords as nad27 already
i just dont know
but this obviously needs to be checked before proceeding
to forestall any possible confusion

This may
> partially explain the violent difference in longitude between our
> numbers, and does explain why it generated a point apparently
north
> of the markers.
>
> using NADCON on NGS's site to convert to NAD27, the
numbers would end
> up N 45d00m38s84743 W 73d20m36s82541, which still
appears too far
> north -- although that location isn't obscenely off as to be north
of
> both markers (whether you use NAD27 or NAD83 numbers vs.
IBC's).

> I agree that your averaging is probably a fair indication, since
the
> VTNY border seems to run very close to the middle of the two
> markers. I'm hoping for on-site visuals to be of some help as
well.
> All of this, of course, still assumes that the river will freeze.
>
> The tripoint will be what I make it to be, dammit! :D

absolutely
the point & the pointer are one

& i am only a kibitzer in this case
tho when the time comes i just may have to come up & skate
along with you

> Now, we were discussing donuts, I believe...
>
> --Jay Di Battista
> Plattsburgh, NY
> WPTZ-TV
>

> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "acroorca2002" <orc@o...> wrote:
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., J Di Battista <meridien24@y...>
wrote:

> > > Hey - I'm posting via e-mail for the first time. Sorry to all if
> this
> > doesn't work. I figure this is the best way to ship an
attachment
> > along. And maybe a hyperlink.
> > >
> > > On the topic of VTNYQC -- Here's what I gathered from
ArcView
> > and MS Streets - as you said tho, it goes off USGS topo, but it
> > appears (from here anyway) to be valid
> > >
> > > 45.01083 N
> > > 73.34314 W
> > >
> > > which converts to (I think)
> > > N 45d00m38s9880 W 73d20m35s3040
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?
> >
> > congrats
> > everything works great
> > & i agree with your conversions
> >
> > if these are nad27 as i assume
> > then you are very close to
> > yet even farther north than
> > the usgs book position you wanted to dismiss yesterday
> > for being too far north
> > namely
> > n45d00m38s9 x w73d20m38s9
> >
> > such closeness of latitude at least suggests a common
source
> > but as you can see by further comparison
> > you are also 3 or 4 seconds east of the book position
> > amounting to a few hundred feet
> > which is quite a lot of difference relative to 10 foot circle
> targeting
> >
> > this big difference of longitude & small difference of latitude
> > were striking & puzzling enough for me to recheck everything
> > & tho both my transcription & my conversion are indeed
correct
> > i was finally led to notice the peculiarly identical 38s9
endings
> > in both the latitude & longitude figures above from the book
> >
> > & such an improbable but exact repetition
> > strongly suggests to me a transcription error
> > presumably made by the author of the book
> > but not by the mapmaker
> > who may well have been working from the same source data
> > aha
> >
> > so i think your topo generated coords are very probably more
> > reliable than my book generated ones
> >
> > yet still after all that
> > both these sets of coords
> > whatever the cause of their great difference in longitude
> > remain too far north
> > as you have already noted
> > so i think you would be right to dismiss them both equally
> > in favor of simply averaging the more credible ibc coords
> > as suggested & done in message 7873
> >
> > > Anyway. On my way to Montreal, I snapped this picture of
> > NY276, a
> > > road which follows the border a few feet on the US side.
> > Marker 649B is visible.
> >
> > nice shot
> > you tv guys do border roads well
> >
> > but unless there has been new road construction in the area
> > your map suggests the marker in the pic might be 649a
instead
> > & that you might be standing very near the position of 649b
> > itself possibly no longer standing or no longer visible
> >
> > a gps reading on the monument in the pic could resolve this
> >
> > authoritative coords for these & the other monuments
discussed

http://www.internationalboundarycommission.org/coordinates/J4