Subject: Re: UN sets deadline for Cyprus deal
Date: Nov 12, 2002 @ 16:19
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Anton wrote that the Four power treaty returning sovereignty to
Austria contained:

" 1. Die Alliierten und Assoziierten Mächte erklären, daß eine
politische oder wirtschaftliche Vereinigung zwischen Österreich und
Deutschland verboten ist. (The Allied and Associated powers declare
that a political or economic union betweeb Austria and Germany is
prohibited)."

One could "define out" of the situation that there isn't actuially a
"union" going on between Austria and Germany, that the "EU" is called
the "European Union".

Currently, all you have going is Austria changed currency and agreed
to use an Austrian version of the Euro. Germany uses a German version
of the Euro. To maintain stability of the Euro between them, they
agreed to maintain their respective economies within certain
parameters, which each, as a sovereign, may do. There was no "union"
between the two states, or an assimilation of one by the other, either
economically or politically as there was in the "anchluss" of WWII or
as in the "wiedervereinigung". If it gets to the point where the
international borders between them are to disappear, then I will be
curious to see how the two parties get around the treaty.

It may be that they will get around it by stating that the unification
was not the result of a bilaterial German-Austrian agreement, but an
Autrian-EU agreement. It may not be valid so directly, and it may run
against the old treaty, but there's no end to the extent diplomats can
engage in constructive defining. They'll figure something out.

Regards

Len Nadybal