Subject: Re: CANUS - Gas Guy: More
Date: Nov 02, 2002 @ 04:41
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

conditions on borders are always in a state of flux
just like conditions everywhere
only moreso since they straddle & are affected by 2 worlds
& they are continually adjusting & reacting to various factors
both intrinsic & extrinsic to the situation
both apparently reasonable & obviously absurd
both international & national as well as local in scope
both general & individual in their causes & in their effects
etc etc

so of course it is a rather concentrated sort of pandemonium

but why regret or lament or take exception to any of this
& why bother to elaborate all the ways you would change it

better to just have whatever fun ones situation does permit
& i think borders will remain a pretty good playground that way
particularly for careful tripointers on limited commando sorties
tho perhaps less so for casual sitting targets like camera freaks
for i admit you have created a special problem for yourself there

but in any case it may help to remember
here as everywhere
real adventurers dont complain

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Doug Murray" <doug@d...> wrote:
> Having spent time around the Stanstead, Quebec - Derby Line,
Vermont area last September, I can tell you that the climate on
border is much more serious. Sure, the goofy crossings exist,
but the INS, Customs and Border Patrol folks are in no mood for
fooling around.

> The US agencies can be ranked in order of seriousness:
Customs, INS, Border Patrol. I won't relate again the experience
that Mike and I went through with 3 Border Patrol officers... but it
was a waste of time, especially since we had clearance!

> Or the times I went to check with Customs/INS to tell them I
was going to be snapping pictures for research for a TV series --
I STILL got the third degree. I was already in the US and even
though I approached them, I was under suspicion. Add lack of
inter-departmental communication, and the frontier is no-fun
zone. And I guess it should be: it is the international boundary
between to nations. Not a playground for border freaks!!
> :(
>
> That said, I agree that the Canadian guy that crossed the
border to get gas was a moron. Having a rifle in the back seat of
the car and crossing the border is just plain stupid.

> There has been a lot of finger pointing by Americans (Pat
Buchanan for one) at Canada for being a base for terrorists.
Soviet Canuckistan was is term. I love that!! (I hope I get a new
passport with embossed with the image of a curling broom and
a bowl of Poutine.) I won't comment on Pat (you can guess my
response) -- but it is an example of how tender the whole issue
of the border is. In normal times it would be stupid to cross the
border with a gun. In these kooky days full of fear and paranoia,
he deserves to go to jail simply for being an idiot. (And made to
listen to Celine Dion for 3 days straight!)

> HOWEVER... I think the length of time in jail is a little unfair.
After all, he was just stupid, not a terrorist. There's been a lot of
overreacting since 9/11. Too bad, because we used to have this
really cool border, with lots of oddities surrounding it. Now, the
mood has changed. No surprise.

> I still think the answer is a simple one: Canadians and
Americans work together to guard North America (excluding
Mexico) -- and simplify border crossings for Canadian and
American citizens. That would be so much easier. And, I would
think, cheaper.

> Those are my thoughts, some 45 miles north of the border...
>
> Doug
>
> Doug Murray Productions / Border Films
> CBC Infomatrix / CBC POV Sports
> Vancouver BC
> SOVIET CANUCKISTAN
>
> Best Vancouver excuse for being late for work:
> "A movie was being shot and they detained me for continuity."

Canadians?

> But following the story, this guy has a load of blame to take
himself!

> I myself, from repeated travels to the US, know that the INS
and the
> border guards are to be taken VERY seriously, no mistakes
allowed!

> Once - when crossing from Canada to the U.S. - I was almost
arrested
> for having a $20-bill tucked in between the pages of my
passport (I
> used to keep one there for emergencies). The border guard
thought I
> was trying to bribe him! Luckily he was a fan of "The Sound of
Music"
> and let me travel on (I'm from Austria).
>
> So if you have
> 1) a criminal record,
> 2) a gun in your car crossing the U.S.(!) border,
> 3) been warned several times (according to the TV report),
> don't be surprised if you're arrested!
>
> Now, of course, it IS excessive to put this guy in jail, he
> definitely did just want to pump gas and head home, but don't
say
> that he wasn't warned and didn't take HUGE risks! Come on,
as an
> alien I would even dare to THINK about a weapon while
crossing the
> U.S. border, let alone have one in my car!
>
> And besides that, there is still a possible tax issue involved,
which
> Len pointed out quite rightly.
>
> I agree, although the story is interesting, it sounds like
routine.

> Greetings,
> AntonZ
>

> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "acroorca2002" <orc@o...> wrote:
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Doug Murray Productions"
> > <doug@d...> wrote:
> > > The CTV Television Network has the story and video clips
(!!!!)

> > whoops
> > i already killed my tv
> >
> > but anyway
> > what is so remarkable about a
> > previously warned
> > multiple offender
> > illegal alien
> > convicted violent criminal
> > with a fresh weapons felony
> > needing to cool his heels in border jail for awhile
> > i mean
> > anywhere
> > anytime
> >
> > multiple repetitive messages & exclamation points
> > must add up to something
> > but i just dont get it yet
> >
> > & dont get me wrong either
> >
> > i have gone to border jail several times myself
> > 2 of them without even having crossed a border
> > so i am not unsympathetic
> >
> > but this
> > s t o r y
> > strikes me as entirely routine & predictable so far
> > unless you can fill in something i may have missed

Service.