Subject: Re: Belize - Guatemala referendum
Date: Oct 26, 2002 @ 13:30
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

ok well it was indeed too optimistic to expect the completion in time
for your new years visit
but at least we have confirmed that the eventual tripoint position is
already well established & marked
so it is just a question of whether you will want to visit the
tripoint prenatally or wait for it to actually be born

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Doug Murray" <doug@d...> wrote:
> From Channel 5, Belize City (Thur Oct 24):
>
> Referendum date postponed indefinitely
> Breaking news out of Belmopan tonight is that the deadline to set a
date for the simultaneous referendum to end the Guatemalan claim has
been suspended... indefinitely. According to a government press
release, the facilitators informed the Foreign Ministers of both
countries that "...practical difficulties may make it unrealistic to
adhere to the deadline for holding the referenda...we wish to invite
the parties to work instead towards holding the national referenda as
soon as mutually convenient. We emphasize, of course, the importance
we continue to attach to the referenda being held as early as
practicable." Belize's Foreign Minister Assad Shoman told News 5
tonight that Belize takes the decision in stride, as both countries
have committed themselves to putting the issue in the hands of the
people as soon as possible. Government had planned to table the bill
to allow for the referendum at tomorrow's sitting of the House of
Representatives, but that resolution has now been put on hold until a
firm date is set. The proposals package, presented in late September,
had included the recommendation to hold a referendum in both
countries on the same date within seventy-five days. A meeting
between Foreign Ministers Assad Shoman and Gabriel Orellana, and
facilitators Sir Shridath Ramphal and Paul Reichler, is scheduled for
November fifth in Washington. While discussions at that meeting will
include the issue of the referenda, as well as extending confidence
building measures along the border, attempts will also be made to
resolve the issue of a Guatemalan housing project that extends into
Belizean territory near Benque Viejo. The details of a recently
completed O.A.S. mission report on the subject have yet to be made
public.