Subject: Re: us2alflus dilemma
Date: Oct 10, 2002 @ 00:05
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "kbajoras" <kbajoras@y...> wrote:
> I would think that the state line in the water has to be staright,
> because if it isnt, then the water either 3 or 9 miles around the
> tripoint would be disputed by the states on both sides. So I
think
> USGS is correct.

first
a warm welcome to you
& thanx for being here in strength

in fact there was just such a dispute as you suppose
until a 1953 interstate compact between alabama & florida
approved by congress in 1954
settled things as follows

beginning from a control point located on perdido key
at nlat 30d16m53s & wlong 87d31m06s
the seaward boundary runs due south for 1000 feet
to a second point in the gulf of mexico
where it then deflects slightly southwest by 00d01m00s of arc
& continues
as the compact says
to the seaward limit of each respective state

now the seaward limit of alabama was fixed at 3nm
by a supreme court decision in 1960
which also gave florida 9nm of territorial sea & submerged lands
into the gulf of mexico
from the low water line of its coast

presumably that decision didnt specify due south
nor 1 minute west of due south
as did the compact
nor any other directionality
but simply 9nm from the low water line of the coast

the supreme court didnt & couldnt override the compact but
it seems to me
it did imply that where the seaward limit of alabama ends
at a distance of 3nm from the low water line of its coast
per both the compact & submerged lands act of 1953
the seaward limit of florida could continue in full force

& why not in every direction
as far as 9nm from the low water line of its respective coast
even if interrupted by alabama waters

& thats why i visualize the territorial waters & submerged lands
of florida wrapping westward around those of alabama
until the 9nm are reached everywhere
including beyond the limits of alabama

i havent seen the full texts of any of these documents
so all this is just my supposition & inference
& i honestly dont know for sure

you could just as well be correct in thinking that the state line in
the water has to be straight
after the first turnpoint
& that there cannot be a second turnpoint
& that florida has somehow forfeited its right to the extra 6nm
by having agreed to the terms of the 1953 compact

but i still find that hard to accept
even if it means my photo was correctly aimed