Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Jan Mayen (was: EU or not)
Date: Sep 16, 2002 @ 09:07
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Jan,

>I am sorry I wrote "city". Probably I should have been writing "town". (In
>Norwegian it is the same one word for both the English words, and American
>tourists are frequently naming any small village of ours "a city", which
>makes us to do the same ;-)))

Yes, this is yet another issue. I believe it's also the same in Dutch -
'stad' refers to both a town and city - although there is the rather
contrived term 'Grootstad'. In contrast, the term 'town' and 'city' has a
distinctly separate meaning in the UK.

>I cannot understand why it should be so difficult to prove if a city has
>that big population or not. Hammerfest municipality today has about 9200
>persons which makes it not that far away.

I know you need to draw boundaries somewhere (;-)), but municipalities
often incorporate areas that aren't really part of the town. I don't know
if it's the case in Hammerfest, but Norwegian municipalities often include
surrounding communities and outlying areas which strictly speaking aren't
part of the main settlement.

>According to my Webster a town is "a village with a regular market place",
>and a city is "an important town".

That definition of a village is quite dubious ;-)

Regards,

Kevin Meynell