Subject: Re: Jan Mayen (was: EU or not)
Date: Sep 15, 2002 @ 13:31
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Jan,

>We feel that Svalbard is the last West European autocracy where the
>Sysselmann (Governor) has an absolute rule.

The Channel Island of Sark is pretty much an autocracy. The Seigneur leases
the land (at the exorbitant rate of GBP 1.79 per annum ;-)) from the
British crown in perpetuity and can pretty much do what he/she wishes.

It's a strange situation as the island is included in the Bailiwick of
Guernsey for administrative purposes, but it's essentially self-governing
and retains its own laws. Sark does have a 'parliament' known as the Chief
Pleas which represents the forty or so tenants on the island, but I think
this only has advisory powers.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell