Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Lake Ceresio
Date: Sep 12, 2002 @ 08:17
Author: Nicholas F Hodder ("Nicholas F Hodder" <lists@...>)

According to Her Majesty's Customs and Excise, the Italian waters of
Lake Lugano (or Lake Ceresio) are outside the fiscal area of the EC
(just like Gibraltar, Büsingen, Campione d'Italia, French DOMs etc).
See:

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/business/tradinginternet/tradinter-5.htm

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/business/importing/ecsaleslists/eslecterritory.ht

I assume this has something to do with allowing commercial activity on
boats to go untaxed in those waters (gambling maybe).

I notice that HMCE refer to the "EC", rather than the "EU". Does the EC
(European Community) now refer specifically to the part of the EU
(European Union) that is within the fiscal (VAT) area?