Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Changing sides of the road
Date: Sep 12, 2002 @ 07:53
Author: Nicholas F Hodder ("Nicholas F Hodder" <lists@...>)

Message
Gibraltar did not changes sides in 1925, but at 5am on Sunday 16th June 1929, just over a year after Portugal had made the same change.  Parts of Austria changed sides back and forth several times between 12th July 1852 and 19th September 1938.  The shortest period was by Vorarlberg, which changed from right to left in 1915 and back to the right in 1921.  In 1920, I believe most or all of Austria drove on the left.  During the 20th century, there were 55 changes in sides of the road in various countries around the world.  The most recent official change was Okinawa (Japan) in 1978 and the most recent unofficial change was the Falkland Islands in 1982 during the Argentinian occupation.