Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] RE: Unknown Spanish provincial enclave
Date: Sep 03, 2002 @ 18:42
Author: marcelmiquel@navegalia.com (<marcelmiquel@navegalia.com>)

>Mg. 6919 Peter S. wrote:
>And guess what: I've just found an old excel sheet which I made a
>couple of years ago, when I was working for a company that makes route
>planners. It was meant as a reminder for the people that digitise the
>maps. And there it is: Malagarriga!
>
>Could you just browse through it and tell me whether it is correct or
>not?

As I’ve promised a month ago, I’ve compared the list of provincial
enclaves and the book “Viaje a los enclaves provinciales” : the list is
correct and complete. Well, not absolutely complete: in this book I’ve
discovered another enclave, very small. It’s located only few hundred
meters south from another enclave: Valielles. It’s another enclave from
Montmajor ( Barcelona ) into Navès ( Lleida ). It’s so small that
usually is not marked on official maps: 236 m2. It was a farm house
that no longer exist, located next to the St. Pere de Graudescales
church. You can see a photo from this romanesque church:
www.catalunya.net/capacap/ ruta/ruta/ruta9.html
The writer consulted the official Catalan Cartographic Service and
they confirmed this enclave. There is a map from 1925, but the house
doesn’t exist now and the Service said that it’s impossible today to
indicate with precision the actual boundaries "in situ".

I’ve attached two oficial maps:
Map1: you can see the enclave of Valielles. On the SE ( difficult to
read ) the church of St. Pere de Graudescales is marked, but not the
small enclave.

Map2: the catalan governement wants to redefine provincial and
municipal boundaries and to erase the municipal enclaves. The proposed
new map marks the small enclave: this map proves the existence.

I want to make a precision: only several provincial enclaves in Spain
are second-level enclaves. Spain is divided actually in autonomous
communities ( Catalonia, Basque Country, Andalucía…) , and each
autonomous community is formed by one or several provinces. So, there
are several provincial enclaves, like the Valielles one, that are third-
level enclaves, because both provinces belong to Catalonia.

Marcel

¿Quieres que cada vez que te llamen al móvil suene "TORERO"?. Si
tienes un teléfono Nokia sólo tienes que enviar un SMS con el texto
MTV102245 al número 5666. Si tienes un móvil diferente o quieres
bajarte otras melodías de la MTV visita http://www.vizzavi.es/Melodias
Coste del mensaje 0,9 € impuestos indirectos no incluidos.