Subject: Re: Towns across borders
Date: Aug 30, 2002 @ 21:42
Author: ps1966nl ("ps1966nl" <smaardijk@...>)

As I understood it, the request was about towns with the same name on
both sides of the border. It is rather rare, I think. At the time I
couldn't think of one. But Comines on the BEFR border might be one.
The problem is that Comines (BE) isn't a separate municipality
anymore, but part of the municipality Comines-Warneton (Komen-Waasten
in Dutch), an exclave of the province of Hainaut in between West-
Flanders and the French departement Nord. Comines (FR) definitely is
a municipality. The towns are separated by the border river Lys/Leie.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "zoommedix" <zoomer@t...> wrote:
> --Emerson MB and Noyes, MN are pretty much the same town
>

> - In BoundaryPoint@y..., "acroorca2002" <orc@o...> wrote:
> > back in june
> > message 6735
> >
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "djtilque" <dtilque@n...> wrote:
> > > When a border splits a municipal area, the towns on either side
> > > usually have different names. But sometimes they have the same
> > name.
> > > As far as I can tell, this is purely a North American
phenomenon,
> > but
> > > if not, I'm sure someone will tell me so.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I've compiled a list of these border towns that have
the
> > same
> > > name. I've only included those where both towns are
incorporated.