Subject: SV: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Emirates of UAE and Yemen
Date: Aug 28, 2002 @ 16:09
Author: Christian Berghänel (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Christian_Bergh=E4nel?= <christian.berghanel@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

Hi,

Oasis A that belongs to country X and so on is perhaps best illustrated by Grant Hutchison's excellent article "Foreign Parts" in Wanderlust # 50. "...In the 1950s, a diplomat (Mr Julian F. Walker ?) on a camel rode around the Trucial States, asking village headmen which sheikh they owed allegiance to, and then drawing borders on the map accordingly..."

As to the border conflicts, according to the the following sites there were conflicts between Trucial States and its neighbours, as well as between the emirates. There seems to exist maps as well:
http://www.archiveeditions.co.uk/Leafcopy/130-3.htm
http://www.archiveeditions.co.uk/Mapcopy/RecsEmirates.htm
http://www.archiveeditions.co.uk/Leafcopy/575-9.htm

I can understand those "fuzzy", dotted borders in the desert, but I suppose there must be a real border in such a place like Dibbah - which is shared between Oman, Fujeirah and Sharjah. No maps of that area on the net?

For the Yemeni area:
The map at http://www.terra.es/personal7/jqvaraderey/190523ar.gif shows borders inside Wahidi.
Wahidi split into four states around 1870 (Wahidi-Ba´l Haf, Wahidi-`Azzan, Wahidi-Bi´r `Ali `Amaqin, and Wahidi-Habban). (see http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Yemen_protectorate.html). Is Dhiebi the same as Wahidi-`Azzan?

According to "Dead countries of the Nineteen and Twentieth Centuries - Aden to Zululand" by Les Harding - the Kathiri State of Seiyun was, under a treaty, cut off from the coast in 1918 in favour of Qu'aiti State of Shir and Mukalla. I'm sure there must be any before-and-after-maps.

Some of the former states of Yemen cannot even be seen at the map (http://www.terra.es/personal7/jqvaraderey/190523ar.gif):
Dubi, Hadrami and Mawsata in the Western Aden Protectorate, and Barhut, al-Hawra, al-`Irqa, Qasm, Shabwa, Tarim, Ghayl and Mahjaba.

Christian Berghänel
Sweden