Subject: Re: Emirates of UAE and Yemen
Date: Aug 27, 2002 @ 21:13
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <listen@...>)

Hi Christian,

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Christian Berghänel
<christian.berghanel@s...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am interested in the sultanates, sheikhdoms and emirates of
Yemen and United Arab Emirates, both present and historical.

I understand the "fuzzy" borders (some maps also draw them as dotted
lines) mean that the borders are unsettled. Somewhere there's an
oasis A that belongs to country X, and some distance away there's
oasis B that belongs to country Y. Everyone agrees that A belongs to
X and B belongs to Y, but they never bothered to define the actual
border, because it would in the middle of the desert which no side
cares about anyway. This is how the situation came about, and I don't
think it changed since, even though google brings up some pages about
border conflicts involving islands down there (Yemen vs. Saudi and
UAE vs. Iran for example).

Regards